Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Was the Ryans trade good for the Eagles?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I admit, I don't follow other teams much. Swapping thirds and giving up our fourth for Ryans, is this a good acquistion for the Eagles. Is he healthy? MLB? Stud? Passable? Can he cover? Is this better than the FA options?
bebina
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 20 2012, 08:30 PM) *
I admit, I don't follow other teams much. Swapping thirds and giving up our fourth for Ryans, is this a good acquistion for the Eagles. Is he healthy? MLB? Stud? Passable? Can he cover? Is this better than the FA options?

good trade...yes...low risk, high reward..eagles aren't on the hook for any guaranteed money..that 4th rounder would have just turned into another body in camp...if he is healthy he can be a beast...acl usually takes 2 years to be 100% again.. and its been 2 yrs
bebina

he's a top 5 mlb....if you asked me in 2010 i would only put willis and lewis above him
TGryn
http://www.nfl.com/player/demecoryans/2506888/profile
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeMeco_Ryans

Two-time Pro Bowler, his tackle #s were as good as anyone's before he was injured with a torn ACL in '10. Age 27, next season will be his 7th. It's a gamble, but a good one.

Remaining contract amounts for Ryans:
2012 5,900,000
2013 6,600,000
2014 6,800,000
2015 6,800,000
TGryn
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (TGryn @ Mar 20 2012, 08:41 PM) *
http://www.nfl.com/player/demecoryans/2506888/profile
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeMeco_Ryans

Two-time Pro Bowler, his tackle #s were as good as anyone's before he was injured with a torn ACL in '10. Age 27, next season will be his 7th. It's a gamble, but a good one.

Remaining contract amounts for Ryans:
2012 5,900,000
2013 6,600,000
2014 6,800,000
2015 6,800,000

Ryans tore his Achilles not his ACL. Still Houston fans loved him and many think he came on late last year. Their local media moguls and Kubiak the coach say he really got back up to speed at the end of last year. With a change back to the 4-3 and more off-season work he should be ready to fly for us this year. An absolutely great trade. Way to go Roseman and whoever else thought up this trade!
Dreagon
I know a lot of Texans fans, and they're all shaking their heads in dismay over this. They definitely think ya'll got the better end of this deal.
mcnabbulous
I like this trade, but it's obviously not a slam dunk. Achilles injuries are serious business, so his impact comes down to his recovery from that.

He clearly didn't fit with Houston, given his lack of true position and salary. The most intriguing element about Ryans to me is that big ol' sexy brain of his. The guy is very intelligent, which will be the best chance of overcoming any physical limitations.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 20 2012, 09:50 PM) *
I like this trade, but it's obviously not a slam dunk. Achilles injuries are serious business, so his impact comes down to his recovery from that.

He clearly didn't fit with Houston, given his lack of true position and salary. The most intriguing element about Ryans to me is that big ol' sexy brain of his. The guy is very intelligent, which will be the best chance of overcoming any physical limitations.

His recovery went well enough that he started every game. With yet another year of recovery I only need to see him pass his physical today for me to buy in completely. Even more than his intelligence what attracts me is his leadership. Everyone, fans, coaches, teamates, media all universally describe him as the captain, leader, heart and soul, coach on the field etc type which we have sorely missed since Dawk left. He could/should quickly have the respect of even the best we have ie Cole, Aso, Jenkins, Babin et al much less his LB-mates and the other youngsters. Oh, did anyone mention, this guy hits hard! Real, real hard!!!! Talk about the ability to lift other's abilities by your own example.
Zero
An interview with Cosell on the official site indicates that he has lost some of his quickness and speed. Still, Cosell says he should be a good fit because of his smarts and instincts. If he is healthy he should help fill a big hole.

With the OL returning intact, DJax hopefully carrying a good attitude and Vick with a full off season as the starter, I'm thinking the Eagles concentrate much of their early draft on the defense.
Zero
From ...
Here are a few text messages from current or former players:

“WTF!! You know what they are up to?”

“Damn, man, and they talk about loyalty.”

“Cold-blooded, man, cold-blooded. But Meco will be better off for it. He’s going to dominate in Philly.”

“They don’t know what leadership means, do they? Bet they won’t finish No. 2 in defense next season.”

“It’s an ugly business. We’re not the same team without him. Gonna take a lot to replace Meco.”

Players went onto Twitter with public comments as well.

Owen Daniels: “Seriously? Meco too?”

Brian Cushing: “I wouldn’t be half the player or person I am today without @DRyans59 this one hurts. Philly got a unbelievable player and leader today. #59″

Glover Quin: “Honored to have had the chance to play with and learn from @DRyans59.. True leader and great person… Preciate you bro.”

Eric Winston (to Owen Daniels): “Watch you® back kid. @owendaniels you’re the last ’06 guy left.”

HOUSEoPAIN

I liked this deal from the get-go, though you make good points.....then I watched TGryn's video that he posted, and I'm totally sold. It appears we have a legitimate LB acquisition!

*twilight zone music playing*
TGryn
WK 12 Sound FX: DeMeco Ryans wired
http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d814...eco-Ryans-wired

The intangibles and leadership Ryans brings is hard to boil down into numbers, but if we'd had a couple more guys like him around last year, the team chemistry wouldn't have been nearly as messed up as it was. That was a big reason I wanted them to sign Fletcher, but Ryans seems like the same sort of guy while being a good ten years younger.
D Rock
The main difference Ryans brings is precisely what we've lacked at the position since the young trotter.

VIOLENCE.
Rick
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 21 2012, 12:18 PM) *
The main difference Ryans brings is precisely what we've lacked at the position since the young trotter.

VIOLENCE.

And leadership. He is, apparently, quite a leader. We haven't had that since they didn't resign B Dawk.
Eyrie
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 21 2012, 04:18 PM) *

VIOLENCE.

In that case, Ryans = wub.gif
TGryn
Roseman on PE.com made the point that Ryans was rehabbing during the offseason lockout last year, so he may not have had access to quite the same level of resources he'd normally have had in his recovery.
eaglesflow
Low Risk high Reward baby! that's what its about!
Zero
QUOTE (TGryn @ Mar 21 2012, 03:06 PM) *
Roseman on PE.com made the point that Ryans was rehabbing during the offseason lockout last year, so he may not have had access to quite the same level of resources he'd normally have had in his recovery.

Graham was rehabbing at that time too. Does this mean we can still have hope for him?
TGryn
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 24 2012, 05:53 PM) *
Graham was rehabbing at that time too. Does this mean we can still have hope for him?

Graham's injury happened a couple of months later than Ryans', and BG was a rookie with only limited game experience before getting hurt while Ryans had already been in the league for 4 seasons. So, I'd say the difference in the impact on each players' development was markedly different.
Zero
I'm still looking at this deal with a measure of trepidation. Is that because I'm an old Eagle fan who's accustomed to falling off the cliff almost every time I'm enjoying the view? Or is it that it just seems to be too good to be true? Check this out:
Ryans' six-year, $48 million contract signed in 2010 was based on his being the team leader for years to come. A torn Achilles tendon in 2010, the defensive switch to the 3-4 last season and the resulting move of Brian Cushing inside lowered Ryan's long-term value. We understand that. With the trade, the Texans don't have to pay Ryan's $6.9 million salary, but the franchise still takes a hit. Cap-wise, the trade will cost the Texans at least $2 million more than if they just paid Ryans to play. Dead money, it is called. In other words, cap-wise they're being hit for some $2 million more than if they just paid Ryans to play.

Dead money doesn't tackle. Dead money doesn't lead team meetings. Dead money doesn't win football games.

The Texans took a $2 million salary cap hit because the remainder of Ryans' prorated signing bonus comes out of this year's cap, but they cleared $9 million for next year when they'll be trying to re-sign players like quarterback Matt Schaub, left tackle Duane Brown and outside linebacker Connor Barwin.
Source ...
So, it doesn't seem the Texans traded Cap to ease their cap. If the man played better this year, the second year following his surgery, wouldn't his trade value increase and yield better than a #4+? Could it be Ed Wade's influence crossed over to football even if Ed is back in Philly?

Here's a bit more reasonable explantion although the final analysis will only come when we see him play in the W9:
DeMeco Ryans is one of a number of NFL players whose reputation precedes his level of play. Synonymous with an underachieving defense, it should be noted that the unit got better the less time he spent on the field. He is a solid player, not a dominant one and to insinuate the Texans got robbed is simply wrong. The way they would have been fleeced is by paying Ryans $5.9m for playing less than 60% of their defensive snaps. They may well lose a little by putting Daryl Sharpton in his place, and it's true that you can't quantify how hard it will be losing the leader of their defense. However, given the push they are able to get up front, the improvement of the secondary and the improved play from the linebackers that will be returning, this loss is something that they can overcome.

The extra cap flexibility it gives them now and in the long run is as significant as the draft pick they received for Ryans. It was a move that was somewhat inevitable in hindsight, and an essential one given that football is a business about winning and not sentimentality. That the Eagles happened to get their much needed linebacker, and that DeMeco Ryans will get the three down role his all round game deserves, just makes this deal all the sweeter.

Despite embracing a level of emotional caution, the fun part about this is the ride. Seeing the team acquire a legitimate player in a significant position of need is good especially on the heels of fueling team morale by retaining some of their own. This feels 180 degrees from the Dream Team hype. My anticipation for the draft is increasing and as usual, I can't wait until TC.

TGryn
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.